Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Quad That Wasn't (And other assorted regrets of overindulgence)

Folks.. there comes a time when you keep telling yourselves that rules are made to be broken. Well, break rules we did.

March 6th was supposed to be the Quad Kettle event, but only turned out to be a Triple Kettle (thanks Bryce.. ASS). Not to be deterred, we plodded forward. T'was a late start due to some other events, but we got things going. Fred was doing a partial hefeweizen, Moss was doing an all-grain Irish Red, and I was making an all-grain blackberry wheat again.


Although Bryce wasn't able to brew, he was able to join us in the festivities by bringing copious amounts of homebrew (his DFH90 clone was fantastic) as well as other high-gravity biers. So, the good part was we tried a lot of beers, with many of them being very good. The bad part was, we tried a lot of beers, with many of them being pretty bad!


Did I mention high-gravity? Yes I thought I did, and you can see the effects on me as my eyes are half open.. at 5pm. I won't go into too much of the effects of drinking too much during the brew session, but here are some highlights:

  1. Moss forgot to add his aroma hops
  2. Jeff was reading Celsius and not Fahrenheit during this mash (ok so this was BEFORE drinking.. )
  3. Jeff had no idea how much volume he mashed out with
  4. Jeff had no idea how much volume he ended up with
  5. Jeff had no idea what his OG was
And to add to all that, I sliced off the top of my thumb while preparing dinner. Upshot is we now have a name for the beer: "One Thumb Blackberry Wheat"


But all is not a loss. Afterwards we all vowed that subsequent brews would follow (or at least try) a more strict enforcement of rules surrounding drinking while brewing. But if I were a betting man, I wouldn't count on that lasting too long. ;)

Prost,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment