Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sweet Sixteen Brew Session

Another beautiful Spring day resulted in another great brew session. Jeff and I met over at Fred's house to not only make some tasty beverages but to also sample some micro brews. I decided to brew a German style hefeweizen that will eventually include apricot extract at kegging. This was, of course, requested by the wife. Spring is upon us bringing warmer temperatures so who's complain. This beer, brewed with a German style yeast, has a med-high attenuation and should easily satisfy anyone's thirst. Take a look at the recipe:

German Pilsner Malt 5.25#
German Wheat Malt 4.25#
Carapils .50#

German Hallertau Hops (Alpha=3.8 @ 60 mins) 12.1 IBUs

Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast
Apricot Extract @ kegging (2 oz)

The wort hit my target gravity so things were looking good. Remember we brewed at Fred's place... well that following morning, me and the fam are getting ready for church. I go out to the truck to get the kids loaded and spot my primary in the front passenger seat. I open the door and get hit by fumes from a combination of hops, yeast, CO2 and whatever else is discharged. It was a very interesting trip into church to say the least. After church, I crack open the pantry to see if fermentation has started. I open the door to a shelf full of krausen spewed all over the place. The airlock blew off the primary! Wyeast is clearly more active in early stages than White Labs yeast. Here's a pic: I was able to capture some video footage of the airlock after putting it back on.



I have never seen a batch produce this much krausen. I decided to leave off the airlock and will worry about it after fermentation ceases.

1 comment:

  1. LOL - Go Moss! Maybe I shouldn't have peed in your kettle...

    ReplyDelete